Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What makes a house a home...

Quilts...

I have always loved quilts. Especially those old worn ones.You know...the ones that feel like you're being hugged by the arms of an old friend. Nothing is better than snuggling down in one of those. I love it that quilts see so much life. They are used over and over again and yet that warm feeling of an old friend never gets old.

My family has a few quilts that have been circulation of our home for many years. My parents have one that was made by an Amish women in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She hand stitched every piece. It is truly a work of art. Beautiful colors, tight stitches, lovely lines. Running my hands over the top of it, I can feel how much work went into making this cover. Paul and I don't have an handmade Amish quilt yet, we will have to save up some money for a "real" one. But we bought this cozy quilt when we were in the States. I like it because it has these big beautiful medallions of bright colors. It is kind of a Mexican inspired pattern. Which of course Paul loves! I do too.


I love that there is so much history and creativity behind the making of quilts. You could read for hours on all the different patterns and the story behind America's Quilt History. I remember growing up I was in a girl's quilting club. We would read literature on women and the making of quilts. We even started sewing our own quilts (which I never finished mine lol) as part of the class. I think I really gained an appreciation for quilts during that time. It was amazing!







I hope to collect some beautiful quilts for our family to use over and over again in the many years to come...





No comments:

Post a Comment